Yerba Maté has been used as a beverage since the time of the ancient Indians of Brazil and Paraguay and is considered a national drink in several South American countries. Yerba Maté has more benefits than green tea and gives the drinker more energy than coffee. It is beneficial for four reasons: it gives energy, adds lots of vitamins and minerals, helps you to lose weight and reduces your appetite. More and more coffee friends have moved over to drink Yerba Maté, because of its great health benefits.
Yerba Maté has all the great benefits of coffee and tea. It stimulates and improves your wellbeing.
Yerba Maté has a unique combination of vitamins and minerals to stimulate your whole body. North American scientists believe that its stress-relieving effects come from the high level of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and antioxidants that it contains. You can find iron, minerals, B1, B2, C and E-vitamins. Yerba Maté is also an extra rich source of magnesium and calcium.
Drinking Yerba maté will reduce your appetite and improve your heart health. The caffeine found in coffee is a stimulant for the nervous system, but mateine in Maté is a stimulant for the whole body, infusing it with vitamins and minerals.
Yerba Maté has found a niche following among “brain hackers”, seeking to optimize brain performance with anything that gives them a mental edge. One of these ‘ hackers’ is one of my all-time-favorite people, Tim Ferris. He was the one who introduced me to Yerba Maté as a coffee alternative, and I believe switching from coffee to yerba maté was one of the best decisions I ever made for my body. Before that, I had about 3-5 cups of coffee a day and I always felt so tired and crushed.
“Besides Yerba Mate helping you lose weight by numerous methods I also found out it is almost more powerful as a health drink… We all know the benefits of green tea; this is like green tea on steroids. It helps with your immunity, well-being and so much more.” – Laura
Yerba Maté’s health benefits:
- Vitamins A, C, E, B1, B2, B3, B5, and B-complex – it boosts your immune system, helps your body to work more efficiently and promotes the health of skin and hair.
- Calcium, Manganese, Iron, Selenium and Zinc helping you to keep your bones, blood, heart, skin and hair healthy.
- 15 Amino acids help you to lose weight and build lean muscle.
- Theophylline, theobromine, and caffeine give you all the get-up and go you need to be awesome all through the day.
- Carotene, Fatty Acids, Flavonoids, Polyphenols, Inositol, antioxidants, trace elements and pantothenic acid all contribute to making you more beautiful, healthy and vigorous from the inside out.
How to make Yerba Maté with a French Press
- Measure out 1-3 tablespoons
- Splash with cool water, until the maté is covered
- Then pour in hot water (70-80C – not boiling) to help preserve the nutrients
- Let it steep for 3-5 minutes
PS! You can use the same tea leaves for about 3 times. Pour in the hot water, let it brew and it’s ready!
Yes, I know that’s not how South Americans drink it and they’d probably want to kill me, but I live in Europe and that’s MY way to drink it. I still respect the ancient traditions of course, but I’m not into it because of the rituals… I just love the benefits, and the reason why I personally love Yerba Maté so much is the increased energy and enhanced mental clarity, alertness (similar to that from coffee, but without coffee’s side effects), focus and concentration that it gives me.
So, really, the only question you should have left is why haven’t you tried it yet?